At Cambridge Language and Activity Courses (CLAC) we are committed to safeguarding and preserving the privacy of our clients, students, staff, website visitors and third parties and to ensuring that their personal data we collect, store and process is treated correctly and lawfully.
This Policy sets out exactly what happens to any personal data that is handled by CLAC. We tell you how we will collect it, what we will use it for, who we will share it with and how we will keep it safe.
Information We Collect
The types of personal data that CLAC may handle include information about our current, past and prospective students and staff and other third parties that we may need to communicate with. The personal data may be stored electronically or on paper in a filing system. It is subject to the legal safeguards outlined in the Data Protection Act 1998 and from 25 May 2018 the General Data Protection Regulation.
In running and maintaining our website we may collect and process the following data about visitors:
- Information about use of our site including details of visits such as pages viewed and the resources accessed. Such information includes traffic data, location data and other communication data.
- Information provided voluntarily by clients. For example, when registering for information, completing a booking form, making a payment or requesting a quote.
- Information that clients provide when communicating with us by any means.
We may gather information about your general internet use by using the cookie. Where used, these cookies are downloaded to your computer and stored on the computer’s hard drive. Such information will not identify you personally. It is statistical data. This statistical data does not identify any personal details whatsoever.
You can adjust the settings on your computer to decline any cookies if you wish. This can easily be done by activating the reject cookies setting on your computer.
Use of Personal Information
We use the information that we collect from you to provide our services to you. It will be used for one or more of the following purposes:
- To provide information to you that you request from us relating to our summer courses.
- To inform you of any changes to our website, services and courses.
- For the administration of our courses
- To meet the needs of our students’ travel arrangements, accommodation, learning and activity programme and general welfare.
- For the safe recruitment of CLAC staff.
- For marketing, website analysis and internal market research.
Storing Your Personal Data
In operating our website it may become necessary to transfer data that we collect from you to locations outside of the European Union for processing and storing. By providing your personal data to us, you agree to this transfer, storing or processing. We do our upmost to ensure that all reasonable steps are taken to make sure that your data is treated and stored securely. The sending of information via the internet is not totally secure and on occasion such information can be intercepted. We cannot guarantee the security of data that you choose to send us electronically. Sending such information is entirely at your own risk.
Testimonials, Photography and Video
Due to UK child protection laws, all parents are requested to give permission for CLAC to take and use photos of their children for educational, promotional, blog and social media purposes. If a child in one of the photos/videos taken on the course does not have parental permission then we cannot share these photos/videos with other students or parents.
We use Instagram and Facebook site for students to keep in touch, access photography and video after a course. Use of Facebook and Instagram own privacy and safety polices can be found at http://www.facebook.com/policy.php. We will never publish children’s full name when publishing any photography and video content on these platforms, including our website.
Disclosing Your Information
- Where we are legally required by law to disclose your personal information to UK Border Agency or The British Council.
- Sharing information with employees, the host school and our accountants.
- To enhance fraud protection and reduce the risk of fraud.
- In connection with selling our business.
Third Party Links
Access to Information
In accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 you have the right to access any information that we hold relating to you. This is a free service, but CLAC reserves the right to charge a fee if costs are incurred by us in providing you with the information.
From 25 May 2018, you will have additional rights to request that inaccurate personal data about you is corrected, that it can be provided to you in a portable format or that it can be deleted. If you are unhappy with the way we are processing or have processed your personal data, you have a right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (https://ico.org.uk/concerns/)
CLAC will not keep personal data longer than is necessary for the purpose for which they were collected. We take all reasonable steps to destroy, or erase from our systems, all data which is no longer required.
Last updated: 19th February 2020 (Cambridge, United Kingdom)